Re: BIND server getting DDOS

On 8/2/22 14:03, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I just, maybe, figured out why I have been having problems with my CentOS DNS server with BIND 9.11.4.

Can you tell us more about what problem you've been having?

Aug 2 15:47:19 onlo named[6155]: client @0xaa3cad80 114.29.194.4#11205 (.): view external: query (cache) './A/IN' denied

grep -c denied messages
46038

And that is since Jul 31 3am.

If I'm not mistaken, your system is averaging one query denied every 4.6 seconds.  That's not a large volume, as an average. Probably not a DDOS... A DNS server connected to the internet is very likely to get occasional q ueries.

Anyone have recommendations on how to stop this?

If this server is the authoritative server for domains: completely turn off recursive support.  Authoritative servers should serve their authoritative domains, only.

If this server offers recursive queries to your local network, use its firewall to allow traffic from the networks that are allowed to make queries, and drop all other traffic.

Disable connection tracking for port 53 in your firewall.

https://kb.isc.org/docs/bind-best-practices-recursive

https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-01183