Re: open source network diagnostic tools

On 08/06/2022 20:19, Christopher Wensink wrote:
Everyone,

From time to time on our network we experience a pause where it seems like everything just hesitates for a time, this could be 2-10 seconds, then communications resume and everything is normal again.

I suspect that there one machine that is occasionally sending out bad packets or is flooding the network when it shouldn't, but I don't know for sure.  I've tried scanning with angry ip scanner to confirm IP addresses are set and communicating as documented. I've tried running captures with wireshark to try to identify one culprit but nothing is sticking out.

I've tried tcpdump to see if something obvious is placed there, but it's a flood of information and it's difficult to tell what (if anything) is a problem and what is not.

I'm also working on setting up icinga for monitoring all servers to see if that provides insight.

What other tools / tactics would you use to identify the core cause of these kinds of intermittent pauses?

Chris

Though I can not recommend any specific tools, a learning curve should be easy peasy, including tools/solution - unless you already looked into it & have it covered - in old days with Windowze NIC faulty drivers, OS own issues or intentionally provoked network stack misbehavior would/could put a device/NIC in the 'promiscuous' mode which would results in network "acts" in ways you describe.

good luck, L.