Re: Any downside to mount -o noatime?

--On Thursday, February 10, 2022 8:03 PM -0500 Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

relatime has been the default for a long time -- that only updates atime
once per some reasonable timeperiod. The wear and tear from that is
negligible and you can still get a basic idea of when files where
accessed.

According to the man page for mount, relatime updates atime whenever mtime or ctime are updated, or if neither has been updated in the last 24 hours. Which is still prohibitive if you're doing an incremental (rsync) backup and checking file contents on the "full" backup weekly or monthly.

The only apps I've found that need atime are tmpwatch and biff, neither of which I use.