Re: Running Centos 8 Stream: Do I need to remove any of the repos?

On 11/30/21 14:17, Jay Hart wrote:

On 11/30/21 1:01 PM, Jay Hart wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2021, Jay Hart wrote:

Using the same command shows:
# dnf repolist

repo id                                                   repo name
appstream                                                 CentOS Stream 8 - AppStream
baseos                                                    CentOS Stream 8 - BaseOS
epel                                                      Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64
epel-modular                                              Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - x86_64
extras                                                    CentOS Stream 8 - Extras
remi-modular                                              Remi's Modular repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64
remi-safe                                                 Safe Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64

I'll assume you know what you're doing with the "Remi" repository,
since it's an unknown to me. Otherwise, your repository list looks
good to me.

It appears I installed some PHP related packages from those repos.

I used remi repository to install PHP-7 on CentOS 7.

Just my 2 cents.

Valeri

I'm thinking I did that as well.

Jay

The vast majority of items built for RHEL-8 or the other downstream RHEL source builds (Alma Linux, Rocky Linux, CentOS Linux 8 for the rest of this month, Oracle Enterprise Linux, etc) .. will work also on CentOS Stream 8 .. however, not everything will.

The only things that are BUILT to work on CentOS Stream is EPEL + EPEL Next and CentOS Stream and Official SIG Content that lives on mirror.centos.org.

#rd Part sites, (Ie, the remi items in you example) may or may not be built using CentOS Stream. If they are not, then there may be library link issues with those repos.

EPEL-Next has been created to keep EPEL compatible .. other repos will need to do asddon repos for items in CentOS Stream that are newer than RHEL and newer than downstream RHEL source builds.