Re: Upgrading (?) from legacy boot to UEFI

On 27/08/21 10:51 pm, Rob Kampen wrote:
Unfortunately the server is remote and the CentOS7 USB device I left plugged into the machine refuses to boot from UEFI mode. Thus a rescue mode boot has not been possible.

So i made a trip and replaced the USB stick with another one - CentOS7

I am unsure what file I need to point the UEFI bios disk manager setup at, I have tried shim.efi and shimx84-centos.efi

The message I get is that linux16 and initrd16 cannot find their files. The change to linuxefi and initrdefi also fail but the system reboot happens before I can see what flashes on screen.

Is a USB based UEFI booted rescue mode the only way I can fix this?

So I then rebooted - selected UEFI native boot and got into rescue mode - only problem is that the rescue system did not find a Linux system. Really weird as each of the four drives effectively have a complete centos7 system. No idea why it didn't start md raid and find the 6 raid1 volumes.

About to give this a miss and just live with legacy boot - this UEFI thing is just far too complicated. Looking on line at all the various blogs and questions it seems I am not alone in finding it far too complicated.

I run a Ubuntu workstation that is UEFI based and their grub.cfg is so much simpler than the centos one.

TIA for your pointers / suggestions.