Re: A Blast from the past

Hello,
Can you please help with an interesting problem.
I have an Intel Haswell based processor with CentOS 7.0 with an early kernel
booting and running perfectly.
I changed the processor to an Ice Lake and I get the problem below when I
boot the working Haswell disk.
The boot process hangs almost immediately and when I remove the 'quiet' boot
parameter I see that it hangs randomly, usually with a high CPU number, when
SMPBOOT is starting up the cores.
The only solution I have found is to boot with the 'nr_cpus=8 (could be any
low number), update to the latest kernel then reboot with the 'nr_cpus=8'
parameter removed.
On examination there are no problems with CentOS 7.4 and above but there are
with CentOS 7.3 and below.
Mark

https://www.avg.com