Re: Transition test report going from CentOS8 to Debian 10.

On 8/4/21 1:10 PM, Christopher Wensink wrote:

Were these deployed on bare metal or as virtual machines?  If Virtual were they on vmware?

I have a mix of bare metal and virtual, but I am slowly migrating almost all of the bare-metal servers to virtualization.  All of my production virtualization hosts here are now on Proxmox and are running the CentOS/Debian version mix guests in KVM.  Still learning the tuning of Proxmox.

Can anyone speak to how well a virtual machine will perform when being given 1 socket 1 core, vs. 1 socket 2 cores vs 2 sockets 1 core?

I have not found any noticeable difference in whether a CPU is in a separate socket or just another core in one socket when using KVM virtualization.  But I've also not done a deep-dive into benchmarking it, either, so I reserve the right to be wrong.  This is with a mix of CentOS versions on a Proxmox host;  all CentOS versions I've tried there have run well (and I have tried ALL major CentOS versions on Proxmox, including CentOS 2.1 through 5.....)