Re: How to find out what's eating the bandwidth

On 3/28/21 7:36 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:14:16 -0400
Matthew Miller wrote:

Is this a home network or a business one?

It's a really basic setup "routers from Staples" (dlink and tplink brands I think) plugged into the ISP's modems.

You're right that you generally can't see everything from just any computer
on a network, at least if it's switched. You need to watch from your
gateway.

Then I'm outta luck for doing this sort of thing since the gateways are the tplink and dlink routers.  I thought that might be the case.

Thanks for the answers, guys!  It isn't what I wanted to hear,  but now I know more about this than I did before.

If you want to keep your tplink and dlink devices, you might be able to get a managed switch for a few bucks via craigslist or ebay and plug the devices on the network into that. For the purpose, an (old) 10/100Mbit should do, though it's certainly better to get a 1GB (or faster) one if you can find one for a good price.

Just keep in mind that you may need to configure the switch before you can use it, which can involve using a serial cable with some models. You'd probably want one you don't need that cable for.

Such a switch will usually show you how much bandwidth is going over each port and makes this an easy task.