Re: video driver for NVIDIA Quadro

On 4/9/21 9:24 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
On 4/7/21 6:44 PM, R C wrote:
Hello,

I am running Centos/RHEL 8 on a Dell precision M6800/6700 with a: NVIDIA
Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M]

Is there a driver for that one?  or am I stuck with nouveaux ?

The kernel included in CentOS-8 (the last time I tested it), did not
properly build and run the proprietary NVIDIA drivers .. neither did the
same kernel in RHEL.

I found out, trying to install the driver, the NVIDIA installer was complaining.  (I was pointed to where the latest driver for it was, by Nvidia (which surprised me a bit that they were still maintaining it actually, at least it's the impression I have)

What I did was shift my workstation install to the elrepo kernel-ml
kernels (you might want kernel-lt .. it is latest long term kernel).  I
can then build the latest NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card and use them.

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt

I have no issues using the elrepo kernels .. those guys and gals are
outstanding.  All the stuff they do is great.

My card is a 1080ti .. so I have not tried building for Quadro 3100M ..
but if NVIDIA has a linux driver for that, then it should build using
the elrepo kernels.

Phil Perry can tell us if the NVIDIA drivers they carry actually now
work for EL8 .. i stopped trying it after I switched kernels as they
don't carry drivers on elrepo for the kernel-ml or kernel-lt and I just
rebuild the official NVIDIA drivers manually after every kernel update.

That was sort of my plan, to see and wait if things would work with later kernels. Fr now my desktop seems to be working ok-ish. When my desktop is up for over 10-12 hrs, there seem to be some flickering, windows that 'switch' focus etc, and at times the gnome desktop flat out crashes (the machine keeps running, but no gnome.

Thanks,

thank you!  for letting me know.

Ron

Johnny Hughes