Re: not a Centos topic, but since many had concerns ......

On 2/2/21 4:04 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 03:49:35PM -0700, R C wrote:
This is what I read today, might have been around longer though, don't know.

"New Year, new Red Hat Enterprise Linux programs: Easier ways to
access RHEL"

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-new-red-hat-enterprise-linux-programs-easier-ways-access-rhel
It came out a few weeks ago but the program is live as of yesterday.

In short:

1. Register at https://developers.redhat.com/register

2. You'll now see a developer subscription allowing up to 16 systems listed
    at https://access.redhat.com/management/subscriptions

3. Download and install from https://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/download

4. sudo subscription-manager register --username $USERNAME
    (where $USERNAME is the email address you registered with)

and there you go.

It says "Developer Subscription" but the new terms allow each individual to
have up to 16 systems for production use. See the (single page) terms here:

I would not use it for production, or commercial purposes, just so I have the same at home (or close) as at work. I wonder, does that mean you can have  up to 16 licensed servers/workstations running at a time? Or over time, when you discard equipment, and need to install another  machine/desktop, whatever by the time you're at 17 start paying?

(I am checking that with a redhat rep that we have at work too).

https://www.redhat.com/wapps/tnc/viewterms/72ce03fd-1564-41f3-9707-a09747625585?extIdCarryOver=true&sc_cid=701f2000001Css0AAC

It may also be of interest to note something which I hadn't realized before:
this subscription includes the "EUS" offering which provides security
updates to select minor releases (so you can "pin" to that minor release),
which is something CentOS never did.