Re: RHEL changes

On 1/22/21 9:15 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
Le 21/01/2021 à 23:30, Scott Robbins a écrit :
People pull up all sorts of technical reasons to justify
what is, in the end, an emotional decision.

There is, of course, the possibility to go beyond that. For example, I am
not
exactly fond of Oracle as a company, for reasons you probably know as good
as
me. They did some horrible things to Solaris, MySQL and Java, their CEO

IMHO they didn't do anything horrible to us. They just wasted a lot of
money buying companies and then didn't continue the open source
developments in a way which worked for the community. However the project
are not dead by now, they just run under a different name these days.

supported Trump, etc. But it also happens that they do have one of the

IMHO it's a feature of something called democracy that even CEOs are free
to support whoever they want - without asking anyone and like everybody
else.

Agreeing about freedom of opinion, but can not help to mention: freedom of speech belongs more to liberty, not democracy. Democracy (decision of majority...) is in its essense a tyranny of majority over minority.

My apologies for adding to political discussion on technical list, which better be avoided, so not continuing it and inviting others spare the list of politics, religion, and other non-technical issues.

Valeri

better
maintained RHEL clones out there, with fast updates and an excellent
documentation.

For me OL works very well. I've just modified the migration/installation
so that it removes all OL specific stuff like UEK and changes things back
to upstream EL versions. If I ever regret the move to OL I know know quite
well how to migrate to another clone. And I mean a full migration which
changes every bit.

Simon

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator