Re: I'm looking forward to the future of CentOS Stream

On 12/13/20 3:25 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 21:05:42 +0100 Rainer Duffner <rainer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It’s also not often the case that you can split this kind of work into a thousand work-packages and have everybody just work 1/2 hour a day on it.
not like Debian for instance
No, not at all like Debian.  Debian doesn't have to try to match the unattainable goal of 100% binary compatibility with an upstream source.  I've seen a small part of this first-hand, and deducing the build order to gain binary compatibility is the one thing that can single-thread the build process quicker than anything else.  RHEL doesn't even have the same need; an RHEL rebuild that didn't have the goal to be bug-compatible near the 100% level doesn't, either, and can be built by a lot of people.

Try it yourself: go back to CentOS 5.5 and attempt to rebuild the released sources for 5.6 and get a binary compatible build.  I've done it myself for IA64; it was a pain.

All of the upstream distributions, Debian, Fedora, etc, have a lot of latitude that CentOS never has enjoyed.