Re: CentOS 8 future

On 12/16/20 10:50 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
Why did they change the development process of RHEL .. Because they want to do the development in the community. The current process of RHEL development is closed .. they want it to be open. It is that simple.
Johnny, let me say first of all thanks for these years of hard work.  I for one am grateful for your continued and dogged pursuit of what must be a mostly thankless task.  Thanks for the explanations from your point of view of this transition, too.

Having said that, I believe that in terms of RHEL development and transparency that CentOS Stream will be a very big win.  With working resolutions to the 'unsupported by Red Hat but not third-party out-of-tree driver kABI breaks frequently' and 'third-party out-of-tree hardware driver kABI breaks frequently' issues I'm sure it can be a very usable system for what I need CentOS for.  And it will be very nice to be able to have actual feedback that might actually make a difference in the development of each next point release.  That will work nicely for my main daily driver laptop.  Maybe or maybe not for my servers; that has yet to be seen.

But as I posted in my reply to Mike McGrath, Red Hat's reneging on the September 24, 2019 statement that "nothing changes" for CentOS, especially CentOS 8, still smarts.  A lot.  (I know it must be worse for you and the other devs.)