Re: CentOS Stream from bottom works, what is this?

On 12/10/2020 9:08 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:50:00AM -0500, me@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
So if I understand this correctly, centos8 + will basically be a rolling
release and we will never know what we are really running. Is this
correct?
No, this is not the case. There will be continuous updates, but all of these
updates are ones that are planned to go into a RHEL minor release, with all
of the normal things that will imply. As Brendan said, .y stream development
is really not all that exciting.

"[W]e’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just/ahead/of a current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.... It gives the CentOS contributor community a great deal of influence in the future of RHEL."

Someone (or several someones) at RedHat is/are very confused.

As I wrote elsewhere, CentOS Whatever cannot be both upstream and downstream of RHEL and serve both roles adequately. If CentOS Stream remains just a CR/Early Access for updates that have passed all decision-making and QA processes and are well on their way to the upcoming RHEL point release, then there's no real input that can be had here, and there also appears to be no change from what CentOS Stream has been for this entire EL8 cycle.

If so, then the "great deal of influence" and "development/upstream branch" is meaningless drivel and the death of CentOS Linux (the rebuild) needs to be considered on its own merits as a distinct act by RedHat without distraction.

A true "Enterprise Upstream" distinct from Fedora, where the community has a snowball's chance at preventing laptop-focused Fedora-isms from destabilizing the core, is a niche begging to be filled. But that's not what's being presented to us, and telling SIGs to poke around on Stream instead of Linux does nothing for the vast majority of use cases external to RedHat.

If the decision-makers (not the CentOS board, clearly) are being presented these responses then they should realize that the community expects a real post-mortem and explanation here.

-jc