Re: /dev/mapper/cl-root filesystem corrupted?

On 7/12/20 12:20 pm, Robert G. (Doc) Savage via CentOS wrote:
A client's (truly ancient) file server running CentOS 7 suddenly
started misbehaving, and I believe the ext4 filesystem on
/dev/mapper/cl-root may be corrupted. A reboot fails with a file system
check and drops me into maintenance mode. I tried booting from a live
C7 DVD and as root running e2fsck. It complains that the superblock
could not be read and suggests running "e2fsck -b 8193 <device>". That
also fails.

Is there a way to more forcefully "encourage" e2fsck to do its job
without totally destroying that filesystem?

--Doc Savage
     Fairview Heights, IL

I'd say first make sure the hardware is in good order.  If you have a faulty motherboard, CPU, and/or RAM, you might not be able to do anything and could end up losing precious data if you manage to forcefully "encourage" it.