Re: MIDI on a VM

On 13/11/2020 09:09, J Martin Rushton via CentOS wrote:
On 13/11/2020 07:01, Simon Matter wrote:
On 12/11/2020 17:26, Ralf Prengel wrote:
Hallo,
witch virtualizer are you using.

KVM/QEMU

Sure that the virtual sound-device is connected with the right hardware?

I can play CDs and listen to YouTube on the host, so I'm assuming the
hardware is fine.

I don't know how this works here but doesn't playing MIDI files mean you
need a MIDI capable sound card which generates the sound? Maybe the
virtual sound-device is only capable to play audio?

Regards,
Simon

Very good point.  I will investigate further.  I had two models in my head:

1) The Frescobaldi playback module did the MIDI-> sound conversion.
2) The virtual card passed the signals on to the physical card.

Perhaps your third model is correct.

Extra information: I've run up YouTube with the virtual sound card set to ac97 and can play back a simple audio stream. Running the MIDI system has no effect. Furthermore the mixer shows a connection from Firefox, but doesn't show one from Frescobaldi.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Well done.  Now how to fix it!

Regards,
Martin

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS