GVIM annoyances

I've just upgraded from my old F9 box to C7, which of course means lots of changes.  However, the ones are are annoying me most are with VIM.

No matter what I do I can't get  gvim to open in a reasonable size. I have a dual headed setup (laptop + external) and every time gvim opens it takes up both screens.

I've tried a few suggestions including the one below without success.  In fact this one causes X to crash when I start gvim.

The second problem I have is the selection of the font.  My old box had "sans Regular 12" which was a lovely font to work with. However, when I choose the same font on the new box it's hideous. I don't know best how to request this, but basically how can I have my nice old font back?

|if has("gui_running") " GUI is running or is about to start. " Maximize gvim window. set lines=999 columns=999 else " This is console Vim. if exists("+lines") set lines=50 endif if exists("+columns") set columns=100 endif endif |