Re: UID/GID CentOS 6 to CentOS 7

On 10/22/2020 6:06 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
In the end I decided to rearrange all users to new UIDs/GIDs and converted
all storage with a script.

I'm rsyncing to an RH8 box for backup (it will eventually become the production box), and rsync maintains usernames even when the numeric IDs are different. So I cobbled together some Python scripts to migrate the users and groups from my RH7 boxes (which still has some IDs below 1000) to my RH8 box. I decided to export all the passwd files into json and then import them with a second script on the new box. I'm new to Python so this gave me motivation to learn a bit of it. Patches welcome.

https://github.com/SpareSimian/user-group-migration