Re: External harddisk

On 9/30/20 9:11 AM, H wrote:
On 09/30/2020 12:03 PM, Simon Matter wrote:
Since you have taken the disk apart it will now be useless as within the
enclosure there could have been a vacuum or an inert gas.
 From what I know gas filled disks didn't exist in the times when 3X0GB was
on a 2" drive.

You will never be able to recover any data on the disk unless you go and
pay
for a professional data recovery organisation to read the platters.
No, if he did care that the disks didn't become dirty then the drive
should still work quite well to recover what is on it. Of course the cover
should be put on ASAP. If you don't believe me, just try it our yourself.

The price for a replacement 340GByte USB disk is about $25 which would
give
you a better product than your old disk.
The OP wanted to recover what is on the disk, not use it as a normal disk.

Simon

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: H
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 4:47 PM
To: centos@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  External harddisk

On 09/30/2020 05:40 AM, John Pierce wrote:
On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, 8:33 AM H <agents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an old external harddisk, Toshiba 320 Gb, with a USB connector
that
I wanted to check for contents. It did not start up when connected and
could not hear the motor spinning. After leaving it in the freezer
overnight the motor spins but it is not recognized by my computer. I
disassembled it and could see that the head assembly rests outside the
disk
but when it is powered on, the head first moves to the center of the
disk,
then to the periphery and finally back to the resting position. This
happens every few seconds and leaving it connected overnight changed
nothing.

That repeated seeking suggests it's not passing its self test, and is
constantly retrying.   It's probably searching for servo data on the
disks,
and not finding it.

I see. I have not searched for any low-level disk utility from Toshiba,
the
manufacturer of the disk. Do you think that might be worthwhile to
hopefully
fix this?

Opening up disk drives outside of a lab environment is NEVER a good idea if you expect the device to be useful.

I'm thinking this disk problem is tied to your more general usb problem.

There is a guy with a shop in NYC called Louis Rossmann who MAY be able to help with your data recovery.  Look him up on youtube or just google the name.