Re: erasing a disk

At 02:36 PM 9/14/2020, you wrote:
On 2020-09-14 16:52, Robert Heller wrote:
At Mon, 14 Sep 2020 13:14:44 -0700 CentOS mailing list
<centos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Folks
I've encountered situations where I want to reuse a hard-drive.  I do

If it is a Seagate, don't bother. They have the highest failure rate in the industry.

Look at the SMART statistics before deciding to re-use a disk, especially "Reallocated_Sector_Ct,"
"Power_On_Hours," and run the "extended SMART test."

Todd Merriman
Software Toolz, Inc.

Todd

The reason I'm reusing a disk is not because of hardware failures, but rather because I've abandoned a particular use for that disk, maybe changed operating systems, maybe tried something using ZFS and want to change to some other techonology. I know that the best way to reclaim a disk after read-failures is to wipe it with zeros, and this takes days.

And by the way, I typically use only WD disks, not seagate.

Thanks for the confirmation.

David