Re: Solved: NFSroot over wifi in CentOS 7 - graceful shutdown problem

On 8/3/20 6:50 PM, Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:
Hi,

I've got a task to have a small number of laptops netboot Linux over
WiFi. The kernel is loaded off the USB stick of cource, it's off topic
for now.

The WPA-supplicant daemon is started early by dracut off initrd. It
works. Mostly.

The problem is that upon shutdown systemd terminates all the processes
FIRST and unmounts filesystems NEXT.

Guess what? Upon termination, wpa-supplicant brings the wireless
interface down and the system hangs being unable to unmount now-defunct
NFSroot.
Short answer:

Looks like this should be fixed in systemd or its configuration.

Long answer is the one I already gave you on centos-devel. I post it here
because someone may have deeper knowledge of what exactly goes on:

What I'm wondering here is, do you see the hangs because of wpa_supplicant
was terminated and therefore also the wireless interface is down, or do
you see the hangs because networking is already completely down.
It's because of wpa_supplicant. When I run the same config over wired network, it shuts down gracefully.

A dirty solution I found is to kill (-9) wpa_supplicant daemon right before shutdown. WiFi keeps running for a second it requires to do a graceful NFS unmount.

Best regards,
	Dmitry Mikhailov