Re: 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

<snip>

>> Yes .. it should be on mirror.centos.org now .. you could change the
>> repo where your updates come from.  OR .. wait for that mirror to get
>> updated.
>

> I just did
> yum clean all
> yum update
>
> and 15-8 showed up. Maybe the 'clean all' did it, or maybe just showed up.
>
> I applied the update (yum update), rebooted and...
> no boot.  Just a blank screen.
>
> Hardware is a Mac-Mini :-(
>
> This is not an essential machine, so I could re-install (from
> netinstall) if you think it's worth the effort.
>
> Or what?
>
> David

You just need to reinstall the kernel and it should work.

Sorry for being so ignorant, but I don't understand "just reinstall the kernel". I don't know how to translate that into a specific yum or rpm command.

However, since this is a crash-and-burn system, I'm going back to a virgin install with netinstall of 7 2003. I'll let you know what the results are.

On a Mac-Mini, which got hit by the bug in shim, I re-installed Centos 7 2003 from netinstall, selecting minimal as the software selection.

The reboot worked fine.

So, I next tried "yum -y update", noticed shim 7-8 got selected. However, at the completion of the update, I did a reboot and got a blank screen. No grub choices. Not good.

David