Re: Need help to fix bug in rsync

Am 25.03.20 um 19:15 schrieb Simon Matter via CentOS:
On Wed, 2020-03-25 at 14:39 +0000, Leroy Tennison wrote:
Since you state that using -z is almost always a bad idea, could you
provide the rationale for that?  I must be missing something.

I think the "rationale" is that at some point the
compression/decompression takes longer than the time reduction from
sending a compressed file.  It depends on the relative speeds of the
machines and the network.

You have most to gain from compressing large files, but if they are
already compressed, then you have nothing to gain from just doing small
files.

It obviously depends on your network speed and if you have a metered
connection, but does anyone really have such an ancient network
connection still these days - I mean if you have fast enough machines
at both ends to do rapid compression/decompression, it seems unlikely
that you will have a damp piece of string connecting them.

I really don't understand the discussion here. What is wrong with using -z
with rsync? We're using rsync with -z for backups and just don't want to
waste bandwidth for nothing. We have better use for our bandwidth and it
makes quite a difference when backing up terabytes of data.

The only reason why I asked for help is because we don't want to double
compress data which is already compressed. This is what currently is
broken in rsync without manually specifying a skip-compress list. Fixing
it would help all those who don't know it's broken now.

Until this is fixed; as a workaround I would do a two-pass transfer with
filters via ".rsync-filter" file and then using rsync -azvF for
everything with high compression ratio and rsync -av for all, including
compressed data.
So, ".rsync-filter" includes the exclude statements for compressed
formats. This all makes only sense if the compression ratio is higher
then the meta data transfer of the second run ...

--
Leon