Re: Xorg on CentOS

Jerry Geis wrote:

I am trying to find a way to tell the ORDER of X drivers.

I have a VM image of CentOS 7.  If I boot the image  I want the generic
driver to load. But if I put that image on hardware I want the Intel driver
to load.

So if I specific the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf and specify Intel -
this is great for the physical device.  But booting my image it fails cause
there is not Intel hardware.

How can have ONE X config that specifies Intel first and if not present
load generic VGA stuff.
Thanks,

You could write a display-manager.service ExecStartPre script that copies/removes the required file(s) to/from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ depending on the hardware it finds?

i.e. create a file like /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service.d/hardware.conf containing:

 [Service]
 ExecStartPre=-/path/to/my/custom/hardware/script

I do something similar - which works fine

James Pearson