Re: Encrypted container on CentOS VPS

Am 16.02.20 um 16:46 schrieb Subscriber:

----- On Feb 16, 2020, at 5:18 PM, H agents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I wonder if it is possible to set up an encrypted "file container" on a CentOS
VPS?

Yes. You can create LUKS-container on CentOS VPS.

I am the root user of the VPS but the hosting company also has access to
the VPS and thus all files. Is it possible to create a LUKS-container on the
VPS and those files only be accessible by me? IOW, most of the file system on
the VPS would be regular file system but the container could be used by me as
needed. This would allow the VPS to reboot normally, I could ssh in normally
etc etc. I would rsync files as needed to this LUKS-container though.

The threat does not change while using an open "LUKS-container". So, this does not address your threat model. Something that is only "open"
on the client side will be more appropriate ... what is your usage scenario?

--
Leon