Re: C8 Question

Il 24/01/20 15:44, Pete Biggs ha scritto:
I noticed a strange behaviour (don't know if this is the wanted
default). If I try ,from normal user shell, to run command like "reboot"
or "shutdown -h now" system will reboot/shutdown. This happens on tty
console, on xfce terminal and ssh session.
I've just created a normal user on my test system and when I try to
reboot or halt the system when logged in via ssh I get:

    $ reboot
    Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Interactive authentication required.
    Failed to reboot system via logind: Interactive authentication required.
    Failed to open initctl fifo: Permission denied
    Failed to talk to init daemon.

Which is correct behaviour.

Hi Pete,

Yes this is what I expect, but I'm trying to understand why on a fresh installation on a VM, this happens on ssh without user logged in or from console as normal user? I tried the installation several times and with several ISO but nothing changed. On every fresh installation I have not installed other packages and not enabled networking.

If you have the time, please can you try to install from 8.1 iso using minimal installation and try again?

I know that you struggle to believe my problem but I don't know how to prove this.

However, a user logged in at the machine as GUI console session has
always been able to halt or reboot the system.

This does not happen only on my xfce system but on system on VM without a GUI.

Why on CentOS a normal user can shutdown the system without root
privileges? I think that on any server normal user should not be able to
shutdown the system without privileges.

If it's a desktop machine, then the console logged in user should be
able to shutdown the machine - at least then it means they don't resort
to pulling the plug.

Presumably you don't allow users physically near
a server?

No, but this happen also in ssh session.

Thank you for your help.