Re: After upgrade to CentOS 8.1 default gateway missing

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 15:34:43 +0100, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 07:58, Asle Ommundsen <aommundsen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Tonight I upgraded two CentOS 8 boxes to CentOS 8.1 (1911). Then after a
reboot of the first server the network was unavailable. In IPMI console
everything except the network was looking good. Network was unreachable.
No errors in NetworkManager. I also restarted NetworkManager, but it did
not help. Then I discovered that the default gateway suddenly was missing.

Then I rebooted the server one more time, but network was still down.

Then both myself and a technician in my datcenter was debugging this (I
had to wake him up in the middle of the night, costing me a lot of money),
without finding any reason for why the default gateway was missing after
reboot.

Then we rebooted the server a third time, and all of a sudden the problem
was gone and the default gateway was back. [...cut...]

In order to determine what is going on you need to give a lot more information.

1. How do these boxes get their network information? DHCP or static
2. If they are static, what controls the setting of ips:
NetworkManager or network-scripts
3. If they are static, how are they set in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
4. Do the files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts list a GATEWAY=
5. If you are using network-manager, what does nmtui or the graphical
tool say the gateway or default route is?

Here is answers to your list. I have anonymized the some of the data:

1) Static ip configuration

2) This should be NetworkManager.
nmcli output:

eno1: connected to eno1
        inet4 1.1.1.234/29
        route4 1.1.1.232/29
        route4 0.0.0.0/0

eno2: connected to eno2
        inet4 192.168.0.5/24
        route4 192.168.0.0/24

[root@server ~]# nmcli d show | grep IP4.GATEWA
IP4.GATEWAY: 1.1.1.1.233

3)
TYPE=Ethernet
PROXY_METHOD=none
BROWSER_ONLY=no
BOOTPROTO=none
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=no
IPV6_ADDR_GEN_MODE=stable-privacy
NAME=eno1
UUID=1f9ec889-3c64-470a-894b-05543ee44c29
DEVICE=eno1
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=1.1.1..234
PREFIX=29