Re: copying files to fill flash drives

On 1/10/20 2:33 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
Back in the days of DOS I had a program that I obtained from somewhere called FILL. ... Before I re-invent the wheel here, does someone already have a way to do this with Linux so you can write a series of flash drives and fill them with the contents of a specified directory without modifying the files that get written?
This would, in my opinion, be a useful thing.  I found several simple knapsack implementations; one of which is at https://github.com/vaeth/knapsack

What would be very useful is to dynamically load the knapsack based on size of whatever USB drive you just plugged in; so if you have say 4 32GB drives, a 128GB drive, and a 64GB drive, the filling would be efficient no matter which order you plug the drives in. There have been several times I have wished for such a utility; I had one for the old TRS-80 LS-DOS 6 when I ran a TRS-80 Model 4 with a 20MB hard drive to copy to floppies, even when the floppies might have a different amount of free space.

I've done the multi-floppy tar thing back in Xenix days, and that was painful to say the least.