CentOS 7 as a guest VM

I am experiencing an issue that my process does not wake out of a select()
call when a single character is received in an input file descriptor when
running as a VMware guest.

Anyone ever experienced this ?

I can run tshark and see the character arrive, but my process does not wake
up and see that character. Most times it works - but once in a while it
does not.

So I made a change on my code - and did not just wait on select() - but
just try to read the buffer all the time and print the results.  once in a
while that character is "delayed" getting to my input buffer.  Top reports
the machine is 99% idle.

Any thoughts?

Jerry