Re: qeum on centos 8 with nvme disk

On 13/10/19 20:56, Jerry Geis wrote:
6 hours are too much. First of all you need to check your nvme
performace (dd can help? dd if=/dev/zero of=/test bs=1M count=10000 andd
see results. If you want results more benchmark oriented you could try
bonnie++ as suggested by Jerry).

Other this, have you got kvm module loaded and enabled cpu
virtualization option in the BIOS?

If yes, have you got created the VM using --accelerate?

Have you tried another distro on VM?

I mounted the partition under C7.7 and ran the nvme test. Pretty much
came back in seconds for 10G test.

  dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 5.45451 s, 1.9 GB/s

Yes kvm_intel is loaded as a module.

I am using the "-hda /dev/nvme0n1" when I run qemu.... I'm thinking this
works find for my other "img" files - but does not work for "well" for my
physical NVME.
What is the correct argument perhaps to use for running a physical NVME
disk as a qemu guest ??

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
I never used a block device as disk devices on my vms. From virt-install (I use it) man pages from --disk section:

path
A path to some storage media to use, existing or not. Existing media can be a file or block device.

Specifying a non-existent path implies attempting to create the new storage, and will require specifying a 'size' value. Even for remote hosts, virt-install will try to use libvirt storage APIs to automatically create
               the given path.

If the hypervisor supports it, path can also be a network URL, like http://example.com/some-disk.img . For network paths, they hypervisor will directly access the storage, nothing is downloaded locally.

So you can try like: virt-install -n NAME -r mem --vcpus=N --accelerate --os-type=X --os-variant=X --disk path=/dev/nvme0n1[pN] ...and so on.

It should run without problem.

I added [pN] because you can use also a partition other than entire nvme0n1. I don't know if any type of option would be needed for a particular type of device like nvme.

hope that helps.

Alessandro.