Re: why windows 10 can't access centos samba

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, John Hodrien wrote:

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, qw wrote:

 Hi,

 I can access centos's samba via windows 7, but fail via windows 10. Why?

I'm pretty sure this is because the default Samba config doesn't enable SMB2.

Make sure this is set in your smb.conf and I think you should be good:

[global]
max protocol = SMB2

Why? This is NOT necessary for win 10 to work. I do not even know if it will
work with win 10 but for sure it is not necessary. You are actually suggesting
going backwards.

From the smb.conf man page:

Default: server max protocol = SMB3

By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_11 variant.

SMB3_11: Windows 10 technical preview SMB3 version (maybe final).

I have a half dozen or so samba file servers that have a combination of
win7 and win10 versions running and none of the config files contain
anything that changes the SMB version.

I would suspect if you have to mess with the SMB protocols to get win 10
to talk, you are doing something else wrong.

Regards,

--
Tom			me@xxxxxxxxxx