Re: browsers slowing Centos 7 installation to a crawl

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, Peter wrote:

On 6/08/19 3:44 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
In any case, Centos 7 has not always been this slow.
Presumably something has changed.

Websites have gotten more resource-intensive. You've run "yum updates" and now have a newer version of Firefox and/or Chrome. Your browsing habits have changed and you browse with more tabs open now.

More bloated browsers are not hard to believe in.
My habits haven't change much, though. Mostly I use a browser for things I want
to read and things I want to download.
Maybe that is why I'd been getting along with 2GB.

I have two suggestions for you:

1.  Run a lightweight desktop such as XFCE instead of Gnome or KDE.

I'll try it.

2. Run out and buy more RAM. Max your system out at 4G or 8G or whatever it will take. You will need it and appreciate it.

Maybe.
I open the case with fear and trepidation.
The first time I opened a PC case,
I zapped my video card installing a disk drive.
Under the impressing that memory was the most ststic-sensitive
thing in a PC, I had a friend install the DDR2 memory I'd bought.
'Twas frightening to watch: like wathing The Cat in the Hat
play with one's grandmother's favorite china.
So far as I could tell, he totally ignored the
possbility that static could do bad things.
It worked and I did not have a heart attack.

Also, what is it with DDR2 prices?
When I bought DDR2,
DDR3 was the norm and I paid hundreds of dollars for DDR2.
Do not remember for how much.
Now I suspect DDR4 is the norm and am seeing 8GB of DDR2 for less than $30.
Huh? DDR3 isn't much more.

I'll need to do some digging to discover whether my box needs DDR2 or DDR3.DDR3 I doubt it's DDR4.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,