Re: Strange apache problem

On 8/5/19 5:01 AM, Nikos Gatsis - Qbit wrote:
On 8/2/2019 6:23 AM, Nikos Gatsis - Qbit wrote:
After update last centos packages, greek characters from sql request
look like question marks ?????
After hours of tryingΒ  to find out what happens, I found out that updated freetds and after httpd update cause this problem. I add client charset = ISO-8859-7 in freetds.conf and everything seems to work fine. I'm not sure if this is right, because all pages are in UTF8. But adding this set to .conf dont work correct.
Is there someone familiar with freetds to explain me

I'm not familiar with freetds specifically, but the solution you describe suggests that while your pages are encoded in UTF-8, data from the SQL server was using a different encoding, and the server was mixing data in the two encodings into a single response to the client (browser).  Indicating the SQL server encoding in freetds.conf might have given httpd the information it needed to convert the SQL data into UTF-8, creating a coherent response to the client.

If you have time to investigate further, I'd suggest looking for a way to request UTF-8 from the SQL server (which might mean changing the setting in freetds.conf, or removing it and requesting UTF-8 elsewhere).  Your current situation will work for Greek characters, but you'll be unable to save or view characters from other languages.