Re: [OT] odd network question

On 02/08/2019 04:58, John Pierce wrote:
On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 8:53 PM Fred Smith <fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

reveals that of all the source addresses trying to poke at 48825,
there are 193 unique addresses. Either this indicates a heck of a lot
of sites having at my firewall, or that some few sites are all spoofing
their addresses. I can sort of understand people whaling away at ports
that may conceal gold, from their warped point of view, but I haven't a
clue why so many people would be beating on some apparently unassigned
and unused port.

distributed botnets....  its all noise.

One of the nice things about IPv6, is that the address space is so vast and sparse, that it isn't feasible to scan it in the way IPv4 gets scanned, so if we ever get round to moving to IPv6 this sort of stuff will go away.