Re: determining what depends on a rpm

On 17/12/2018 17:24, Simon Matter wrote:
On 12/17/18 3:50 AM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:

or this one :-)
rpm -ev --test PACKAGENAME
will list all packages that require PACKAGENAME

True.  I considered that, and then decided that I could never recommend
using "rpm -e" as a test, even with the --test flag, due to the risk of
operator error.  Though if you put it in an alias, I suppose that the
risk is minimal and the answer is simpler.  :)

It's not really dangerous even without --test, because if it has
dependencies the remove is not done, you just get an error.

And further, the OP originally asked for a solution which could be run as a non-root user (otherwise yum erase PACKAGE would give the same answer), and when run as non-root, the transaction will fail and nothing can be removed anyway. So overall I think it's a pretty good solution to the OPs question.