Re: CentOS 7 + GNOME : all icon themes broken after update from CR

On 11/20/18 8:48 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
On 11/18/2018 09:01 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
Le 18/11/2018 à 15:30, Lamar Owen a écrit :
I did the update from CR, and have some pretty serious issues. ...
Since Red Hat decided to roll in some major GNOME updates between minor releases, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I won't be better off using Fedora on desktops.
... There are new gnome-session and gdm updates that I am getting ready to push to CR .. gnome-session-3.28.1-6.el7.src.rpm and gdm-3.28.2-10.el7.src.rpm .. no idea what the actually do yet, but you can see if they fix any of your issues by looking at the upstream errata, etc.

Well, reporting back, and I'm not 100% sure what caused my problem. I have used several repos since I installed the box two years ago, and there was quite a bit of clutter.  I'm leaning towards my use of xscreensaver (I like the 'flurry' screensaver) as the likely culprit, but I had enough clutter that it's not really practical (not to mention that I really can't take the time) to fully troubleshoot and be close to 100% sure.

Since I did have some clutter to deal with, and the drives (250GB mSATA SSD and 1TB HGST 7K1000) are two years old at this point, I decided it was time to refresh my installation.  So I got a good deal on a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB mSATA and another HGST 7K1000 (one of the best 2.5 inch drives out there), and waited until they came in to do a complete reinstall, and am rsyncing files over from the older 1TB drive as needed.  The Dell Precision M6700 laptop has two 2.5 inch bays plus the mSATA slot, so I downloaded the 1804 DVD iso (mirrors must be syncing; the download took way longer than it should have!), installed to the 860 SSD with the 1TB as /home (leaving the old 1TB /home alone), and successfully updated with CR afterwards.  The install of the ELrepo nvidia driver went smoothly, and after some install work and rsync work I'm back operational; a USB 3.0 enclosure for the older mSATA boot drive made it much easier.

I spent more time trying to troubleshoot GNOME3's startup than it took to install and update!

In a related vein, does anyone have a pointer to a good solid GNOME3 startup document that gives enough detail to where someone can actually troubleshoot without having to patch and rebuild gjs and stack trace javascript?  Just a simple startup log woul be nice, instead of the SIGSEGV in /var/log/messages.....  (side note: I really hate how the Android GMail messes up threading; the Samsung email app is better, but it can't properly display a lot of the messages in the CentOS list (such as Johnny's) and GMail can)