Re: Upping my game on web work

--On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 11:40 AM -0500 Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I need some stuff that provides some basic presentation and management
tools.  Someone other than me will be uploading recordings and
announcements.  My goal is to put together some simple tools for their
use.  Not mine.

That's why I install/update WordPress for people who are not coders. If they want a fancy look, they can use themes. But the content management is already built in and fairly easy to use for someone who knows nothing about how this stuff works.

I suggest looking at the help pages for how to install it via Subversion to make it easy to update. Make the PHP source owned by a custom user, with Apache having write access only to a few necessary directories like the upload directory. (Most of the content will actually be in MySQL or MariaDB.) I use ~website/trunk to hold the code.

<https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing/Updating_WordPress_with_Subversion>