Re: XPS 13 9370 / CentOS compat

On 11/7/18 9:09 AM, Nataraj wrote:
--

I have an xps 13 9360 and had problems with the killer wireless. I got virtually 0 support from Dell on this issue.  Some people who upgraded their warranty to Dell Pro Support were able to get dell to send them a new ethernet card, but some upgraded their support and still got no help.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on mine.  A while back, I don't know the exact date, there was a substanial bugfix in the mainline kernel which appeared in the Ubuntu  kernel roughly in the May/June 2018 timeframe which improved support for the killer chip.  You might check to see if this bugfix got backported to redhat/centos.  Also some people have tweaked some parameters in the driver and improved the performance of their killer ethernets.

Before you order a card, I suggest you verify that your laptop actually has one. (I believe if you download the manuals for your xps, it will include instructions for replacing the card if it is replacable).  My understanding was that as of the 2018 models, most, if not all of these laptops switched from using cards to soldering the chips directly on the motherboard.

I did replace my ethernet card with an Intel 8265 card (my xps is a 2017 model).  For me the 8265 works well with some wifi hubs, but has packet loss problems with others, particularly some older hubs that I have.  I did verify that the killer card performed well under windows 10 with the same hubs which did not work well under Linux.

Nataraj

I don't have reference to this bug in redhat/centos, but you might check...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1670041

Other than this wireless issue, everything else works on my XPS 9360, including the touch screen.  You might try booting various live CD's.