Re: PostgreSQL port accessible even though it should be blocked by firewall

On 10/29/2018 08:43 PM, Keith Keller wrote:
On 2018-10-29, Frank Thommen <list.centos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

PostgreSQL is running in a docker container:

$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                         COMMAND
    CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                    NAMES
6f11fc41d2f0        postgres                  "docker-entrypoint..."   4
days ago          Up 4 days           0.0.0.0:5432->5432/tcp   postgres
$

The various docker interfaces and virtual bridges are not assigned to
any specific zone.

Why is port 5432/tcp open?

It may be Docker manipulating the iptables rules.  If you don't want it
open at all, remove the port argument from the docker run command line
(or moral equivalent) and recreate the container (make sure you have
saved your data first, either with a volume mount or by dumping first).

Unfortunately I can't control how users start their containers and I cannot force them not to forward ports. But I will see if I can prevent Docker from manipulating iptables as described in the very helpful link below.

If you need something more complex, here's some docs on how Docker
interacts with iptables, and how you can insert rules into its chains:

https://docs.docker.com/network/iptables/

--keith

frank