Re: Centos 7 and RAM

On 07/16/2018 04:41 PM, Jay Hart wrote:

On 17 July 2018 at 09:24, Jay Hart <jhart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

What would the recommended minimum amount of RAM be, to run Centos 7.
16GB???

Jay, it helps us help you when you give more information.

I have CentOS 7 running happily on 4GB. My presumption - based on
experience, extrapolation, and google - is that it will also run with 64TB.

Anything between those numbers should be good.

Cheers
L.

L, The use of this machine would be as a home server running as a web and email server, two users,
light use.  My current server has 4GB, but I'm thinking of getting a new box and if I can afford
it, figured I'd get 16GB vice 8.

I also run it on a quadcore XEON with 16GB as a general dev machine including LAMP stack and it is very fast on that setup.

Most of the time, only a few of the cores are used and when I have looked at memory usage it is never anywhere nearing using up the 16GB.

For a new box I would recommend 16GB though just because the cost difference between 8 GB and 16 GB isn't that great unless you are on a really tight budget (as I usually am) and even then, if you can find a way to go 16 GB do it, because it helps future-proof the box so it is usable for many years into the future.