Re: OT: hardware: sanitizing a dead SSD?

Am 2018-05-09 13:00, schrieb Leon Fauster:
Am 08.05.2018 um 21:46 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 8 May 2018 at 15:34,  <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anyone have any clues about how to sanitize a dead SSD? We haven't had it yet, but we're sure it's coming. Esp. since I'm a federal contractor, a
dead disk gets deGaussed, but what the hell do you do with a SSD?

SSD disks must be shredded as the data has been written over multiple
sectors many times to 'even the writes'. This allows for even a 'dead'
disk to be disassembled with 'off-the-shelf' equipment to extract
items from the dead places. Depending on the data involved, there may
be different levels of shredding and destruction of shreds required.

What would someone use to do this? An industrial blender, circular saw ...?

Lot's of specialized companies in that field.

Some of our customers require a protocol of destruction for disks, with serial numbers.