Re: Install CentOS 7 on MBR hard disk

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018, 3:19 PM Yves Bellefeuille <yan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a UEFI system, but I want to install CentOS on a MBR (not GPT)
> hard disk.

Why?

While the UEFI spec permits using MBR for booting, it's confusing because
there's no actual single standard for MBR. There is for GPT.

Anyway, all OS installers I'm aware of on multiple platforms enforce GPT
for UEFI installations.

> The installation program keeps telling me that I must create an "EFI
> system partition on a GPT disk mounted at /boot/efi".
>
> I can't find a way to work around this. Is there a solution?

Yes, but it means giving bad advice. And that is to enable "legacy" OS
support to present a faux BIOS to the booting system instead of exposing
UEFI. It's bad advice because you have no good reason for wanting to use
MBR, it's an arbitrary request.

Chris Murphy