Re: low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

On Fri, November 3, 2017 3:36 am, hw wrote:
Valeri Galtsev wrote:
If you have not Dell server hardware my choice of [hardware] RAID cards
would be:

Areca

Areca is forbiddingly expensive.

Yes, and it is worth every dollar it costs. All good RAID cards will be on
the same price level. Those cheaper ones I will not let into our stables
(don't get me started ranting about them...)

How does spending between 300 and 800 for an Areca 8 port pay out when you
can get a P410 for less than 100?  Are they 3--8 times faster, 3--8 times
easier to replace, 3--8 times more reliable, 3--8 times easier to use,
3--8 times more durable, 3--8 times more energy efficient?  What is it that
makes them worthwhile?

[...]
I like CLIs and don´t like web interfaces ...

I _am_ a command line person myself. Yet, when dealing with RAID, I do
prefer GUI interface, as it is much harder to screw up when you use 3ware
web interface, compared to, say, 3ware command client interface, the last
being much better and clearer than LSI command client... Again, it can be
just me, or it can be the same for many people that our perception of
things in GUI is less prone to grave mistakes.

It´s much easier to click the wrong button in a GUI than it is to enter the
wrong command in a cli.  If the cli is poor, the gui may seem much better ---
I have a switch like that and I´m pissed that the cli is so bad.  Unfortunately,
there aren´t any decent 1GB switches with at least 24 ports that are fanless :(

And how do you automate a gui?  That´s way easier to do with a cli.