Re: Flush memory on a server?

On 09/09/17 12:43, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
Hi,

A few days ago I checked the health of my main public server running
CentOS 7, a quad-core machine with 16 GB RAM. It had been running
non-stop for 65 days, hosting only a handful of services (BIND, NTP,
Apache, Postfix, Dovecot) for two domains.

I was surprised to see that RAM consumption was relatively high, and
apparently, the machine even had to swap at some time.

Why were you surprised? Linux systems use the available RAM, surely you understand that?

Of course there is the possibility that you have discovered a bug and there is a memory leak on your system, building up over time. I suggest you show the list full memory usage details if you feel this is the case.

I read up a bit on RAM consumption, and now I wonder if flushing the
memory cache regularly is a good idea.

https://tecadmin.net/flush-memory-cache-on-linux-server/

Any suggestions?

Did you read the kernel documentation on the subject linked in comments section of that article?

Niki