Re: Kernel 4.12 and nVidia Driver

Am 05.09.2017 um 06:16 schrieb Eugene Poole:
I tried to move to the latest stable kernel (4.12) so I could take

"latest stable kernel (4.12) - that's not a CentOS project kernel. Can we guess that you are using the ELrepo kernel-ml?

advantage of my newest custom system (Intel Core I7 6-core; 64 GB RAM; MSI nVidia graphics card; 2 - 120 GB SSD; 2 - 4TB WD Black) on a UEFI Asrock mother board.

I've had the machine for 3-months but I couldn't get it to work until I found out that the Nouveau driver was causing me all the 'hardware' issues. I moved to the nVidia driver along with DKMS and all of my issues went away until I attempted to upgrade kernel 4.12 ...

It seems that DKMS doesn't automatically upgrade when the kernel is upgraded.  Will this issue go away if I change my graphics card to a AMD?

A bit dated, but it holds basic info about DKMS

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules#head-d313bd351f90d4f25a2143b7bbcff73f927731f0

Instead of using DKMS, the kmod-nvidia driver from ELrepo does not fit for your graphics card? Or any of the other kmod-nvidia* kernel module packages from there?

https://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

Alexander