Re: Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

On 07/31/2017 11:59 AM, Walter H. wrote:
On 31.07.2017 13:23, Mark Haney wrote:
Uh, I run VMWare workstation just fine on my F26 upgraded machine. No, it didn't work when I upgraded, but it's trivial to fix.

http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1939

This link gets you a running workstation in about 5 minutes.
not really, with this I only get the additional network interfaces listed with 'ifconfig', nothing more ..., I removed it, and wait for a VMware Wkst. Update ...
(as this is just a test box, I can do this; if it were my essential box,
I would have kicked Fedora from the harddisk and used Windows again, as I do on my essential box)

  No, this wasn't really a Fedora issue, it's a VMWare issue.
doesn't really help me, the upgrade killed my VMware Workstation

Did you try restarting the vmware service? systemctl restart vmware? I had to do that, or reboot, in order to get the loaded modules actually seen by Workstation.

I have to be completely honest here. It sounds a lot like you're not the kind of person who wants to dig into the guts of things when they break. At least with computing/operating systems. If that's the case, then Fedora probably isn't for you, and I'm sure most on the list would agree. It's 'bleeding edge' packages that, even with a 'stable' release will possibly have some issues than need working out. That's been the case since the Fedora Core days.

In that vein, I would recommend Ubuntu, but the Unity desktop implodes spectacularly with VMWare workstation, or I should say it /did/ with 16.04. That may have been fixed with later versions, but I changed jobs from an all Ubuntu shop to an all RH/CentOS shop, so I'm not certain. The thing is, this is NOT a Fedora issue. It's a VMWare issue. This is true as evidenced by the fact that those modules /can/ be compiled by GCC7, just not by vmware-modconfig script. It happens, and with Workstation, relatively often as of late.

Seriously, if you're not happy with the issues with VMWare Workstation and Fedora, find another OS, like Ubuntu, that will provide you with more stable packages. It probably won't stop the Workstation shenanigans, but they should be fewer and farther between.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova