Re: System Start-Up Issue

On 07/03/2017 10:52 AM, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Chris Olson wrote:
     On Monday, July 3, 2017 5:58 AM, "m.roth@xxxxxxxxx" <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
  Chris Olson wrote:
<snip>
I went on vacation right after an update to one of our virtual CentOS
6.9 systems so it was not restarted for a period of time.  Now it will not
complete boot-up with the gnome display never fully launched.  A progress
bar at the bottom of the start-up screen never reaches completion. We
have not been able to detect a running system on the network.

Two options for stopping the CentOS 6.9 virtual machine have been tried.
One is to "power off" and the other is to "send the shutdown message".
Both of these options appear to work properly.  The shutdown output
<snip>
Suggestion: boot to the previous kernel. If that works, reinstall the
update, then reboot to it.

We had real issues months back, where a yum-cron appeared to half-ignore
the exclude=kernel line in yum.conf, and it would consistently fail to
boot, but once the above was done, reinstalling the latest kernel, *then*
it rebooted with no problem.

Okay, stupid question, if yum-cron was jacked up months back are you still using it? And if so, why? Never in my life have I ever scheduled updates on any server for any reason. Mostly because I don't trust it to do it right. Also mostly because I use ansible to manage that, and that playbook is always manually run just in case there's an issue.

But yeah, you might be hosed. If this is a VM, do you not have a snapshot handy? (I know, I'm late to the party but was camping this weekend.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova