Re: CentOS 6.9, shredding a RAID

On 5/31/2017 8:04 AM, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've got an old RAID that I attached to a box. LSI card, and the RAID has
12 drives, for a total RAID size of 9.1TB, I think. I started shred
/dev/sda the Friday before last... and it's still running. Is this
reasonable for it to be taking this long...?

not at all surprising, as that raid sounds like its built with older slower drives.

I would discombobulate the raid, turn it into 12 discrete drives, and use

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=65536

on each drive, running these concurrently

unless that volume has data that requires military level destruction, where upon the proper method is to run the drives through a grinder so they are metal filings. the old DoD multipass erasure specification is long obsolete and was never that great.