Re: CentOS 7 speedstep CPU support

On 05/11/2017 08:41 PM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 8:18 AM, ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Currently I don't actually need more speed.  This is already a fairly peppy
laptop... like right now the load is about 2%.  If it was any lower, I could
almost turn this machine  off and still run everything.  :)  Ah but
seriously, I'd rather have the speed cranked down and save the battery.
That's the one weak spot: this gal can drain a battery faster than a dog can
down a bag of cookies.  Still, I'd like to have control in gnome over cpu
speed again.
I think all that stuff is controlled by 'tuned' now. There is gtk app
tuned-gtk to help setting and switching profiles.

Hey, so it is. Thanks, Kahil. I don't think I ever would have found that on my own.

According to the Description in the RPM though, "Currently only ethernet network and ATA harddisk devices are implemented." That statement might be out of date, for in /var/log/tuned/tuned.log there is output implying control of the CPU (e.g., "INFO tuned.plugins.plugin_cpu: setting energy_perf_bias 'normal' on cpu 'cpu7'"). However, there are also numerous ERROR statements following those INFOs, e.g., "ERROR tuned.utils.commands: Executing x86_energy_perf_policy error: pwrite: Operation not permitted" and "ERROR tuned.utils.commands: Reading /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method'".

It looks like that needs a bit more development. But at least now I know what to keep an eye to.

Thanks again.