Re: bind vs. bind-chroot

On 04/12/2017 06:18 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 4/12/2017 3:11 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
On my public servers, I usually run BIND for DNS. I see CentOS offers a
preconfigured (sort of) bind-chroot package. I wonder what's the
effective benefit of this vs. a "normal" BIND setup without chroot. On
my Slackware servers, I have a rather Keep-It-Simple approach to all
things security, e. g. run no unneed services, open only needed ports
etc. but I don't run the extra mile (and haven't been bitten so far).

Any suggestions? (No flamefest please.)

bind went through a rocky stage where there were a LOT of security holes in it. by running it in a chroot, you limit its ability to be used as a hacking point of entry. recent versions of bind (basicially, 9 and newer) are much more secure, so this is less of a concern.

But make sure to have SELinux enabled if you do not run it chrooted.

I have mine running that way.